Sunday, March 23, 2008

restore factory settings


Haaaaay... And I thought this option is found only in cellphones...

So this is what's keeping me preoccupied this holy week (aside from spending Holy Thursday @ Portofino with my family). Backup files, reformat HD, partition, reinstall OS... Until I found out that it was way convenient to use the Product Recovery disk (that came along with my laptop).


So there... Got to restore the factory settings of my lappy. I was just so happy that there is no need to me to download the needed drivers and utilities. (Happeeeeeeee meeeeeeeeee... )

And why undergo the hassle? The busy teacher just got so sloppy that she used her own laptop in checking student projects (from CDs and flash disks). The CDs are okay, I think. It was the flash drives that were mounted on my system that led to the attack of monstrous malware (viruses, worms, trojans, ug uban pang lang mananap). These monsters work like cons... They were able to pass through the nose of my antivirus because they altered the system date (changed it to 2002... tsk tsk). The result? My antivirus just kept asking for a new license key! When I adjusted the system date, my antivirus screamed (as in literally screamed) detecting hundreds (ok, just exaggerating) of malware but couldn't disinfect and/or delete these monsters (just kept on displaying "access denied" or something). Well anyway, it became so annoying because every time I closed the message box, another one will pop up! And it goes on and on, unless these monsters are defeated.

Oh well...

So here I am, blogging (more of like documenting what happened hehehe). The monsters got defeated (finally!) by reformatting the HD (works everytime).

Lesson learned? Never to give projects to students again!!!! LOL

No comments: